Published December 2, 2011
Ten Trouble-Free Tips for Travelers
by Peter Wallin, Elmira NY Insurance Agent
Will you be one of the millions on the road this holiday season?
Safety is one of the most important things to consider as you pack your car and leave home. To help you get ready for your next road trip, the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) recommends these 10 tips for travelers:
1. Check all the locks before you leave home. Each door and window should have a sturdy lock.
2. Use motion-detection lights outside and trim hedges to reduce potential hiding places for burglars.
3. Set automatic timers on a few interior lights to give the impression that someone is home.
4. Ask the post office to hold your mail or ask a trusted friend or neighbor to collect it while you are away. Do the same with home delivery of newspapers.
On the road
5. Pay attention to your surroundings.
6. Pick well lit gas stations and always remove your keys and lock the car doors while you are pumping gas.
7. Protect your valuables (GPS, MP3 players, cell phones) by keeping them out of plain view in your vehicle and lock the doors even if you are stepping away from the vehicle for just a moment.
8. Take only the credit and other cards you will need. Leave the others at home, stored securely.
9. Never leave your hotel room unlocked, even to go to the ice or vending machine.
10. Don’t open the door at a hotel or at home to someone who you don’t know well or trust.
It’s important, too, not to forget the basics: buckle your seatbelt and keep your eyes on the road. Driving is a skill that requires your full attention to safely control your vehicle and respond to the events happening on the roads around you.
It’s good to have an insurance company that will be there if you ever have an accident or need to file a claim. To check on your coverage, contact our agency. We will review your current policies and help ensure that your car and home are properly insured. Visit us at www.WallinInsurance in Elmira, NY.
Happy Holidays from Wallin Insurance!
Published December 2, 2011
Home Insurance , Insurance Claims
Insurance agent Peter Wallin discusses
safety in the home
Tricks of the Wicks
House-warming candles, left unmanaged, can lead to dangerous fires
Candles are a great way to make a house feel like home, but if left unattended, they can have devastating effects.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, candles cause an estimated 15,600 fires in homes each year. Over half of those fires start because the candle is too close to combustible material and one in 10 are related to the homeowner falling asleep while the candle is lit.
Thankfully, most candle-related fires can be prevented. Here’s what to know (courtesy of the U.S. Fire Administration):
- Avoid using lighted candles.
- If you do use candles, ensure they are in sturdy metal, glass, or ceramic holders and placed where they cannot be easily knocked down.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Set a good example by using matches, lighters and fire carefully.
- Children should never be allowed to play with matches, lighters or candles.
- Never put candles on a Christmas tree.
- Never leave the house with candles burning.
- Extinguish candles after use.
- Establish a fire-safe home, especially a safe sleeping environment.
- Never leave burning candles unattended
For more safety tips on using candles, see the National Candle Association Web site, or visit www.WallinInsurance.com
in Elmira, New York
By Peter Wallin, Insurance Agent
Nothing adds warmth to the cold winter evenings than a nice fire in the fireplace – or woodstove or pellet stove. Before you light up another fire, though, check this safety list:
- Keep a chimney cap to keep out debris and small animals
- Always use a metal screen or glass fireplace door.
- Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned as necessary by a qualified specialist. As it burns, wood can leave a deposit called creosote along chimney walls, and it can catch fire if not removed regularly.
- Burn well-seasoned hardwood that has been split for a minimum of 6 months. Never burn Christmas trees or treated wood.
- Never burn cardboard, newspapers, or trash in your unit.
- Keep furniture, decorations, and other potentially flammable material at least two feet from the fireplace.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
For more information contact Peter Wallin at www.WallinInsurance.com